How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71054
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

my ex is keeping my things and furniture that i have had before

This answer was rated:

my ex is keeping my things and furniture that i have had before he came into my life how do i get it back

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What is the rough value please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2000 but there are personal things and things that mean something to me from family members and family heirloom

Thank you.

You have a variety of options. The 1st is to book an appointment with a police officer to attend to prevent a breach of the peace. They may not be all that keen upon helping you with this because there is no outstanding criminal matter arising. Also, police officers do not have power to collect goods in these circumstances. They just attend to prevent a breach of the peace.

The 2nd option is to sue at the small claims court for the actual value of the goods that are at the property. I do realise that you don't want the money but suing does sometimes have the effect of encouraging a person to return the goods.

The 3rd option if that fails is to seek a injunction forcing him to hand over the items that you want particularly. It would be irresponsible of me to tell you that that can be done economically so it is important to make sure that you only do this if the goods are really irreplaceable to you.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what if we gain entry and he says that the things are his.....if i have a key or know where there is one can i go in and collect my things with the police there too..

You cannot gain entry without his agreement.

If he said the items were his then the police would allow him to keep them.

The police cannot force collection and delivery up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a key to get in as i used to live there

yes, but you don't have permission to be there and it's his property.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If i go in with key take my things

while he is out

As I've said, that would be unlawful.

You do not have permission to be there and the property belongs to him. At the very least it would amount to trespass and he would be able to make all manner of allegations of criminal offences.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you