How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

9 years ago we bought ⅛ acre beside our home from our local

This answer was rated:

9 years ago we bought ⅛ acre beside our home from our local council, 1 condition of price was that we would not build on it. now 9 years later we need to extend our home and use this piece of land for the extension. Is there any way we can build on this piece of land,? what legalities do we need to do, so we can build on it Please

Is there any restrictive covenant in the deeds against building?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know what you mean?

Have you got a separate title for the 1/8 acre which you purchased from the council? If so, what does the title say about restrictions on building, or does it not say anything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have a separate deed for this extra piece of land, and it say for recreational use only

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have a separate deed document for this extra piece of pan, with covering letter stating that its for recreational use only

I am afraid you woud need to apply for change of use of the land from recreational to dwelling in that case and your local authority needs to approve it to allow you to build your extension on it.

You need to make a formal planning application for change of use and I suggest that you appoint a planning expert to assist you with the application.

Can I assist further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you I have another small question, I am at present with my mum's consent transferring the title deed to her house from my late fathers name, Grant of probate costing €2500.00 is this a reasonable figure?

Probate legal fees for property are roughly about 0.75% of the value of the property.

All the best