How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was taken to court by my local council four years ago for

Customer Question

I was taken to court by my local council four years ago for overpayment of benefits, housing & council tax benefits. The over payment was been repaid via a debt management company but the council went head with the court proceedings which ended up with me been given 6 months probation.Will this show up on a CRB check? I wasn't arrested or cautioned.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : What was the section and act you were charged under please?
JACUSTOMER-btcf4g4o- :

I cant remember

JACUSTOMER-btcf4g4o- :

i dont think i was charged

Alex Watts : If you had Probation you must have been charged.
JACUSTOMER-btcf4g4o- :

i cant remember

JACUSTOMER-btcf4g4o- :

benefit fraud?

JACUSTOMER-btcf4g4o- :

i was claiming housing and council tax benefit whilst working more than 16 hours a week

Alex Watts : If you were comvicted under the Social Security and Administration Act then no it won't show.
Alex Watts : This is because crb, or DBS as it is now known allows certain offences to not show.
Alex Watts : It will show for 5 years from the date you are convicted.
Alex Watts : After 5 years it will not show.
JACUSTOMER-btcf4g4o- :

i really cant remember, its just ive applied for a job in health care and started my own cleaning business and just wondered if this would show up on it

Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts : If you were sentenced within 5 years it will show, over 5 years it will not.
JACUSTOMER-btcf4g4o- :

it was four years ago it happened, could i have been charged under any other act?

Alex Watts : I don't think so - if you went to court then it will be have this.
Alex Watts : The only way you can get Probation is by going to court,
Alex Watts : You don't need to be arrested to go to court or have the police involved.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?
JACUSTOMER-btcf4g4o- :

yes thank you so it will not show up on my check

JACUSTOMER-btcf4g4o- :

thank you

Alex Watts : If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you about this today please?