How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi, this might sound very strange when you know I am 43 and

This answer was rated:

Hi, this might sound very strange when you know I am 43 and my fiancee is 36. She is from Indian origin and still lives at home. We are due to get married on May 10th, but her parents are pressuring her to give up our relationship and call it all a day. Is there any part of the law that protect her/us from this?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Are they based in the uk too please?

yes, they are


they are all british citizen


Hi Alex, I know it sounds strange, epecially when you see our ages, but do you need more information?


and my name isXXXXX so you can see who you are talking to :-)

Alex Watts : If there is contact being made and this is causing both of you distress you could complain for the Police a our harassment.
Alex Watts : This is where one party pursues a course of conduct, normally two or more contacts and this causes alarm or distress then this is harassment.
Alex Watts : The police can warn them and if they continue are able to prosecute.
Alex Watts : If prosecuted an injunction can be sought to prevent contact and if so it would be breach of a court ordrt.
Alex Watts : clearly if you went through the police it would be free.
Alex Watts : You could seek a private injunction but if fought it would be around £10,000
Alex Watts : But try the police first.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

this is trickier as she still lives at her parents. The hassles is for example when she stays at our place, they will text/phone (a lot) or say she is a fool and so on


I feel they are actually harrassing her/us but it has become such an emotional blackmail that we are "yo-yoing" between getting married and living a life we both want to a state of mind where she feels she "has" to give us up to keep her parents happy

Alex Watts : Is that illegal - only if it falls into the definition of above.
Alex Watts : Is emotional blackmail illegal, in itself do.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : You can take action, but it's a matter for you.
Alex Watts : Does that help?

of course. So, if it causes both of us distress it is what makes is "wrong", is that what you are saying?

Alex Watts : Yes.
Alex Watts : Please remember to leave feedback before you go today.

so (and sorry to be pedantic or slow)...if she was contacted and was still happy about the contact, didn't feel distressed and so on, it would be right. The "what makes it wrong" is the fact that those contacts, (be texts, conversations or phonecalls) cause distress? Just making sure I understand your definition

Alex Watts : If she was happy, then there is nothing she can do.
Alex Watts : Its only if there is alarm or distress would it be a problem

excellent...this has clarified it. Thank you so much


and I will leave feedback

Alex Watts : Thanks.
Alex Watts : If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you