How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife has dementia and is in hospital with Delirium. It is

This answer was rated:

My wife has dementia and is in hospital with Delirium. It is likely that she soon will be moved to a nursing home or a care home. If the latter, will our house, which is let to tenants at the moment, have to be sold to pay for care home fees?. We,at present live in a rented flat
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Will your Wife need full nursing (as opposed to social) care?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has acute nursing needs, bathing, dressing,feeding, dual incontinence. Waiting to see Consultant on Monday. She recognises me, just about but her speech is nonsense,

Hope this helps,


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has acute nursing needs. Medication, bathing/dressing, she is doubly incontinent, help with eating & drinking.


I am seeing Consultant on Monday.



If she needs Nursing Care then you should not have to pay the fees at all
However in the unlikely event that fees are payable the yes I am afraid that her share of the house will be counted as part of the assets since you are not living there
I am sorry to give you bad news
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Clare,


Oh dear. That is bad news. Will be giving the tenants notice tomorrow.


Only hope that my wife's present hospital stay is long enough and that she WILL be given nursing care rather then care home.


Anyway thank you for that advice


Best wishes




PS. Will I still be able to move into the half of our home or will the house have to be sold off, leaving me with half the homes value?


Do not rush to give them notice - the assessment may be a long way off and you WILL be given time to sell - so there is no rush
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for you advice.


Trouble is, the flat tenancy ends April 2015 and was intending a leasurely year, having a cull and moving back into our own house.


This nursing or care assessment is rather crucial to my future.


If the latter, I have no choice but to give my tenants notice, look after my wife in the flat until tenants move out. And then ask for care home help. Otherwise I'll be homeless.



Ah I see
I hope all goes well
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you