How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I lent a friend of mine a total of £470 with the understanding

This answer was rated:

I lent a friend of mine a total of £470 with the understanding that he would pay me back, this was in January 2014 and no he is avoiding my phone calls and texts and i'm worried that I will not get my money back, what can I do?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is he working or have any assets?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has a full time job in a pub


do you have any evidence of the loan?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, other than the money that came out of my account, I lent him £80 to pay his rent, (he lives with his parents), I lent him £30 to pay off a debt with his brother and I bought him an iPhone 4 which cost £360.

All of which he assured me he would pay me back for. But now I cannot get in contact with him at all.

Was it all verbal or was any of it negotiated or confirmed over text or email?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mostly verbal, there were texts sent saying he would pay me back and asking for the money, but my phone cleared all my messages so if there's any copies of them they'll be on his phone.


Do you have his address?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, but I have his current and former place of work, I did go to his house once, we were romantically attached but after he received the money it ended. I spoke to someone who knew him who heard a rumour saying that he had used this guy to get a phone then ditched him and he was bragging about it somewhat.


You can always sue him. If there were text messages discussing repayment then that is something that you can rely upon. Also, although there are people who do go to court and tell bare faced lies, as a general rule, people do not. If he borrowed the money then he is not likely to say that he did not and if he does then he should not be credible.

You need to send him a letter before action though to his last known address giving him 28 days to pay in full and making clear you will sue and claim costs against him.

If that fails you can issue here

You can issue at a person's last known address. You could also have a tracing agent track him down but that will rack up the cost.

If he is working then he is worth suing.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, that was excellent advice, thank you so much for telling me this, it was incredibly helpful and has made me feel much better about the whole thing. What would be the most reliable and professional method of finding out his last known address, could I send the letter to his place of work?

You could but they probably won't tell you.

You can use a tracing agent to find him or issue at his place of work or his last known address.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you