How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have exercised an option to purchase a commercial property,

This answer was rated:

I have exercised an option to purchase a commercial property, following arbitration on price ( much in landlords' favour) but the private landlords have failed to send my solicitors original signed documentation to meet the completion deadline. We have issued a 'notice to complete' which expires on the 17th.instant. What happens if they fail to complete by that date?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have they given a reason for failing to complete please?


The landlords' solicitor has said that his clients are currently in South Africa, Greece, and UK. They have offered to send scanned signed copies by e-mail but my solicitor says the Land Registry will not accept them. We see this as further ploy to delay completion.

Alex Watts : That is correct.
Alex Watts : What your solciitor can do is give them a time limit and then sue for breach of contract.
Alex Watts : You can also get a court order requiring them to sign and deliver up the documents.
Alex Watts : If you have a solicitor on the case I am surprised this had not been suggested.
Alex Watts : But you can sue for breach of contract and get a court order making them sign it.
Alex Watts : The contracts could be couriered within a couple of days to be signed wherever they are in the world and then couriered back within a few days,
Alex Watts : I would not accept the excuses.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.


Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:


Hi Alex. Unfortunately I have only just received your last e-mail.


today. Yes I do have solicitors who do much of this sort of work for me, but I thought I'd bounce this problem off you! We did in fact complete yesterday. Thanks very much any way. Sincerely. John Austen

Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No thanks. Have a good Easter. Sincerely John Austen