How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12092
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I work for a small company where I have shares. If I were to

This answer was rated:

I work for a small company where I have shares. If I were to leave, could I take the shares with me? Can the company buy the shares back? At that point, how are they valued?
Thank you for your question.

The answers to your questions may depend on the terms of any contract of employment or shareholders agreement you have with the company and you should check that.

However if there is no agreement, you are free to take the shares with you. If you sell them however, the valuation would normally be with reference to the company's share price on the date of sale.

Happy to discuss further.

Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. All I have is a share certificate with no agreement. The company is not a public company. So I wonder how those shares would be evaluated?

The company accountant would normally value the shares in a non public company.
JGM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you