How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

hi hope you can help about 18 months ago i recived a fine for

This answer was rated:

hi hope you can help about 18 months ago i recived a fine for none payment of my tv licence i had to fill in a form about my income this i did and my fine was reduced when i went to pay the fine i was told they could not procces the reduced amount as they had no record of the letter they asked me yo send them the letter which i did several weeks later i recived a letter off a bailif i then contacted the balif and explaind what had happend he suspended any more visets and advised me to contact the court this i did after several days and several calls to diffrent departments i was told they would look into it and get back to me they still have not contacted me but today i recived a letter of notice of warrant for your arrest this is the only correspondents i have recived since talking to the court i do not have the money to pay the fine out right and iam at my whits end please can yoy help

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it says on the letter to attend the magistrats court as soon as i can or pay the full amount in court i do not have 650 pounds to pay them will i be arrested if i attend court and what has happend to the reduced fine


The reduced fine has spiralled to this level because you didn't pay it I'm afraid. If you don't pay a fine or make an arrangement to pay in installments then the court will ultimately pass these things on to bailiffs and then the costs rack up.

If you cannot pay though then you have two options. It used to be possible to hand yourself into a Magistrates Court and negotiate with the court. Sometimes you can still do that. They may arrest you or they may not but they would put you before the court immediately anyway and its very unlikely you would go to prison for non payment of fines on the first occasion of default.

Some courts, however, will say that you need to speak to the collections office to negotiate payment. Its probably a good idea to do that immediately anyway. That said, that does nothing about the warrant. You need to hand yourself in on that anyway before you get picked up. Then at least the warrant can be resolved.

You can go to prison for non payment of fines but its very unusual.

That said, you must deal with this or it will keep increasing.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do i hand myself in at the police station and if so what is likley to happen or do i just go to court

No, hand yourself into court. Do not go to the police station. They will just pick you up and put you before the Courts at their lesiure rather than yours.