How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My estranged husband has taken away both sets of car keys so

Customer Question

My estranged husband has taken away both sets of car keys so I cannot use it. The registration document is in my name but the insurance is in his. The car was bought with joint he allowed to do this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the car worth; where is the car now, and are there any children involved?
How far have divorce proceedings reached?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The car is probably worth, at a guess, around £5k? It's a 57 reg BMW. The car has been left here on the drive. I have a son living at home but he is 35 so not dependent. The divorce proceedings haven't started yet. I have only today made an appt to see a solicitor but not until 24th as I was unable to guarantee I would have the transport to attend. Not sure it will. Are any difference but he has left me the spare key for a company van to use BUT as he has the other key there is no knowing when he us likely to just fake that away as well
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Can you arrange your own insurance for the car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. I have always been a named driver on the insurance in the past. Not sure why this has any relevance though but I'm sure you will tell me
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The Car is a joint matrimonial asset and you both have the right to use it
However if you wish to take action on this you will have to start Divorce Proceedings and within those apply for the Financial issues to be dealt with
You are entitled to get a specialist to come and replace the keys so that you can use the car - but that would be a problem if he cancelled the insurance on you (it has happened!)
Another option would be to try and negotiate matters with your ex using Family Mediation
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details