How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have had replacement windows/doors fitted, on the 12/13 March,

This answer was rated:

I have had replacement windows/doors fitted, on the 12/13 March, but am not satisfied with quality of them. An inspector from the company has visited and agreed that the windows and fitting was not satisfactory and he would submit a report to the manager. This visit by the inspector was on the 19 March and I have not heard from the company since this date. I have telephoned them on five different occasions but the person I need to speak with is "not in the office at the moment" or " they are on the phone at the moment I will get them to call you back" needless to say they do not call me back. I have written to the owner of the company, I sent the letter special delivery, on the 9 April but as yet I have not even received any acknowledgement of them receiving the letter. I have checked on line and it has been delivered. it appears that they are ignoring me hoping I will " go away" What can I do now.

Dave Lord

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how can I get this company to answer my calls, and how do I get them to put the matters I have complained about right

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have replied once already. what is happening now? why do you keep asking for my e-mail address? I do not think the response so far is worth paying for

How much did you pay for the work?

What is the complaint with the quality?

Did the contract say satisfaction guaranteed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have given them a deposit of £1200 so far. the balance of just over £5000 is due when I am satisfied with the work. this is the wording in the letter I received arranging the installation. they did not complete the fitting of all the windows as the dining room window was damaged and would have to be fitted at a later date. this has not been done.

my complaint is that the window frames are black in colour as requested but there is white showing through where the mitres on the frames have been poorly made and also where the frames have been damaged and painted over with a brush. also there are water streaks in between the sealed units of glass. the front door that has been fitted has not been installed correctly, this was pointed out to me by their inspector when he visited, at the moment the front door will not shut properly and we have to slam it very hard then if we are lucky it will shut. this is affecting the security of our house. they did not fit the "easy clean hinges" as agreed. they did not fit the end caps to the interior sills as they forgot to bring them. there probably more but I think this is enough to be going on with

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have answered the three questions that you asked what is to happen now

Bear in mind that you cannot make them answer your telephone calls or come out to do the job and that they will not do that, your remedy is to take them to court


Do you want them to finish the job or do you want to get someone else to do it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if I get another company to install windows what happens to my deposit and what do I do with the windows that are to be removed.


The company quoted you a price to do the job and you are entitled under the Sale of Goods Act to goods of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose and also under the Supply of Goods and Services Act for the work to be carried out with reasonable care and skill.

You are also entitled to have the job done under common law contract.

They are in breach of all those provisions.

I suggest that you write to the company saying that unless the work is completed on a particular date to a satisfactory standard, you will get the job done by another firm and if that job costs more than you were paying them, you will sue them for the difference.

You will also require them to refund your deposit in full.

If they do not then deal with this matter, then you should get the work done by another firm and sue the original firm for the cost in the Small Claims Court.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you