How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am currently involved in a civil damages case with a former

This answer was rated:

I am currently involved in a civil damages case with a former friend after an altercation occurred between us during which I damaged several of his teeth. He is now seeking damages for the required dental work and pain and suffering. I received a suspended sentence as a result of my actions after pleading guilty, and am obviously very remorseful about them.

My question is this: assuming that a judge orders me to pay damages, which I think could be as much as £5000 for dental work and perhaps another £10000 for pain and suffering, what assets can be claimed from me in order to pay this debt?

As it stands, I have the £5000 just about in savings, but am nowhere near to having the £10000. I have no house and only an older car. What I do have though are 40% of the shares in a business that I help to run.

Whilst difficult to sell as I am not the majority shareholder which would put off an outside buyer and my business partner does not have the funds or desire to buy me out, they do none the less have a value as the company has assets.

Can I be forced to sell my shares to cover the debt?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply. P
Alex Watts : The claimant can take steps to enforce it.
Alex Watts : They can apply for a freeze on the bank account or the £5000
Alex Watts : They could apply to charge your shares which means you can't sell them and if you did the proceeds would go towards the debt.
Alex Watts : You could possible be forced to sell the shares.
Alex Watts : Any assets you have could be liquidated or they could make you bankrupt.
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Hi There, thank you for your response. UNder what circumstances could I be forced to sell the shares, and such an action take into account the difficulity of doin so, and that as a result of this difficulty I am very unlikley to get true market value for teh shares.

Alex Watts : It makes no difference the claimant can make an application and your shares are charged with the debt.
Alex Watts : If they make you bankrupt, on that day the shares transfer to the official reciver.
Alex Watts : The fact that it is hard to sell or undervalued makes no difference.
Alex Watts : If you owe the money the claimant makes an application and the court makes an ordrt.
Alex Watts : order
Alex Watts : I am sorry
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?

No, I think that covers it, thank you

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you