How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Good morning, i recently made a car insurance claim but only

This answer was rated:

Good morning, i recently made a car insurance claim but only go offered 83% of the total that the car was worth. The reason for this is not declaring 3 points on my license upon renewal (some 2-3 months previous). However the renewal was automatic, no forms were filled in and no questions asked. The 17% difference is the % difference between what i paid for my car insurance and what i should have paid had they known of my 3 points.
I cant help but feel aggreived as i dont remember receiving any paper work/phone calls etc about the renewal and the total (17%) not received is nearly £1000. That surely is not proportionate to the £22 difference to what i have been paying and what i should have paid in terms of my renewal.

Can you help?


This is typical insurance company behaviour.

You should lodge an official complaint with the insurer about this issue as what they have deducted is grossly disproportionate to what you would have paid if given the opportunity to declare. However, you are probably obliged to,have notified the insurance company of your points whether or not you were renewing the policy with them.

If you do not get any joy with the complaints procedure, you may take the matter further to the Financial Ombudsman Service, they have the power to ask the insurer to pay up if they think the insurance company is not acting reasonably or is not authorised to make the deduction

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you