How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

Hi I would like to make a complaint about/to claims4refunds.they

This answer was rated:

Hi I would like to make a complaint about/to claims4refunds.they contactd us late 2012 about claiming out ppi with no upfront fee just £1 goodwil payment, which is refunded when first claim won, from that point we where told the firm who sold us the policy were required to resolve complaints in 8 wks, in this period we had no correspondent with claims4refund..on numerous times I rang them to b told somebody would return my call, no return call at all.we had no imput on how the case was going, us believing they wernt acting for us as we then delt with ombudsman, sending all our information to them.we thenhad phone calls from lloyds bank requesting information resulting to them paying us out.the next we heard of claims4refunds was 15th april 2014 requesting payment.yes we feel we ow them sum payment but not the full amount as the service was non exciting.we had our settlement april 2013 and no correspondent from them until present. Could you please help in this matter.thank you miss s clarke.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

MY name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you. Unfortunately if you signed their terms and conditions you may be liable to pay them something but if they have not actually provided the full service then they should not be paid their fee.

I would suggest you write to the as follows:
1. Deny any money is owing;
2. Say as far as you are concerned any arrangement you had terminated when they stopped corresponding with you;
3. Say that they have not provided any actual service and any success in claiming a refund is solely a product of your own efforts.
4. Say any attempts to chase you for money will be deemed harassment under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 and you reserve the right to report them to the police if they continue to harass you for money;
5. Say that you also reserve the right to report the matter to Trading Standards‎

If they continue to demand money you can take a view that maybe you could pay a fraction of what they are asking in order to settle the matter, but I would not pay them anything unless they can provide some evidence that they took any action in relation to your claim.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you