How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I am an immigrant in uk on student visa. Now if am found guilty

This answer was rated:

I am an immigrant in uk on student visa. Now if am found guilty of harassment then will I be drported as soon as the punishment is served.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

-What are the exact details of the charge?

-Do you have any other criminal convictions in the UK?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have any previous conviction in uk. I have not been charged with anything yet. But the potential charge is of harassment.
Whether you will be deported depends on the nature of the offence and the sentence.

If you are given a prison sentence of 12 months or more you could be deported at the end of that sentence.

Even if you are not given a prison sentence the Home Office could curtail your visa - which means that your permission to stay in the UK coukd be cancelled.
Alice H and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it necessary that home office will curtail the visa on finding me convicted of any offense or? If not then under what circumstances will they curtail the visa?
The Home Office may consider curtailing a migrants leave when "...their conduct..makes it undesirable to allow them to remain in the UK but they do not reach the deportation threshold..." Undesirable includes serious harm or persistent offending.

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes