How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Myself and ex girlfriend booked a holiday for October this

This answer was rated:

Myself and ex girlfriend booked a holiday for October this year in her name, however, she broke up with me and refuses to give back my deposit of £600. She used me to pay for holiday that I wasn't going on. Is there anything that I can do?
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

-Did you give the £600 to your ex-girlfriend or directly to the holiday company?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I paid £200 to the holiday company and £400 to my ex girlfriend, she showed me an updated document showing that my money had gone in.

I'm assuming the holiday will be cancelled in which case you and/or your girlfriend will lose the deposit to the holiday company. They will keep the deposit regardless of the reasons for the cancellation.

If your ex-girlfriend is going to take the holiday then she should refund any balance due to you If she keeps the money for herself then you could sue her in the County Court - but before starting a claim you should inform her of your intention and give her a chance to pay you back.

Just to be clear - you will not have a claim against the holiday company unless you made the booking yourself. Any claim will be against your ex-girlfriend.
Alice H and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you