How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

This concerns the DVLA (Drivers licence) A Driver past their

This answer was rated:

This concerns the DVLA (Drivers' licence)
A Driver past their drivng test in the early eighties and has driven ever since.
Because it became necessary for them to exchange their 'paper licence' for a modern digital card licence. They became aware that the licence was loss or misplaced over the years, without their knowledge.
They sent all the information available to them on the form supplied and aplogised for the for the inconvience and oversight.
They discovered by investigating this, that one of their names was missing on the licence and it had the wrong date of birth on it.
This was an act of carelessness on their part because the Driving School did all the paper work for the Trainees. Unfortunately, this Trainee did not bother to proof read the document before it was posted.
All the other information required can be supplied and authenticated by my Landlord at the time (and stlll is)
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

What exactly would you like to know from me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for responding to my quary.

I want to know if there is any way we can get the DVLA to release the licence. We know it is in their possesion and it is not being used illegally

by an driver.



But I don't understand what you mean release the licence.

Has the application for a replacement driving licence been refused?

Or has the driving licence been revoked?

And why do DVLA 'have' the licence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


The application has been ignored, at no time have they ever referred to it. They simply continue to send me a provisional licence. They always keep copies of every licence and once your licence is lost or destroyed

you are sent a new copy. My licence would have been sent to them to be updated to the new version. But as i explained it could not be found.

my licence was never revoked. I was never involved in an accedent or

any wrong doing concerning my driving.

So basically, DVLA does not accept you've passed a driving test and, therefore, refusing to issue a full driving licence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that could be the conclusion. Although they have never said.

This however is simply not true. I passed my test between 1981 and

1984 and have driven constantly ever since.

How do I go about proving this to them?

It appears that DVLAwill not issue a replacement full driving licence because there appears to be a question mark over whether you have passed a driving test. You cannot produce the old driving licence and there's an anomaly with your name and date of birth.

In over 20 years of dealing with motoring law issues I've only ever seen this problem once before and we were only able to resolve it by making a formal complaint. This is the only way to get somebody to look at your situation properly.

The complaints section for driving licensing enquiries is set out below:

Driver Licensing Enquiries
Telephone: 0300(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Fax: 0300(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Textphone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Fax from outside the UK: +44 (0)1792 786 369
Lines open: Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturday, 8am to 2pm

Or write to:

Drivers Customer Services
Correspondence Team

I suppose the only other option available to you is to retake the test (theory and practical) to obtain a new full driving licence.

Hope this helps.

Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for your advice. I knew it would be difficult. I just do not believe that 'might' should beat 'Right'. I will think about it and may

use the address you supplied.


All the best.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer.

Everything is much clearer now.

I am sure I replied to your answer. My rating was 10/10.

Now as I have said. "I wish to put an end to your services, and terminate

our present association.

Thank you for all your help.

E Blake



No problem.

I have closed the question for you.

Thanks for your time and custom.