How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If our marriage has broken down and I move out into rented

This answer was rated:

If our marriage has broken down and I move out into rented accommodation, can I force my husband to sell the shared property and if so how quickly can I do this?
Thank you
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets are there and are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The house is worth around £500,000 with 45,000 outstanding. There are no other assets. My husband has £35000 lump sum inheritance. There are 3 children aged 11 16 and a 19 yr old at uni.

How much does a cheaper three bedroomed property in the same general area cost to buy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Around £300,000


In the meantime how much of the owned household bills will I have to pay while I'm renting the second property Thank you

Who are the children living with and is the eldest still in education?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Eldest is at University. The 16 year old wants to be with me and the 11 half and half

Then once you move out you will not need to pay anything towards the former Matrimonial Home
If the youngest spends more nights there than with you then you will have to pay Child Maintenance - but nothing else
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you