Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

I am very worried. I had someone work for me for six years,

I am very worried. I had someone work for me for six years, she never signed a contract, I wanted to get the company in order and got employment contracts for everyone at which point she started getting very difficult with me. Because of this and many other things I sacked her and she now says she will sue me. Can she do this if she was not contracted?

My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

The fact that there was no written contract will not stop this person bringing a claim against you.

If she worked for you and you paid her a wage then she was probably an "employee" and is entitled to protection under employment law.

In English Law a written contract is helpful in establishing rights and obligations when there is a dispute, but the lack of a written contract does not stop people exercising their rights in law.
Hi Shara

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes