How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My brother(53) has just finished an 18 month probation

This answer was rated:

My brother(53) has just finished an 18 month probation period last week as he was in prison for 6 months for drugs. He has always shown violent tendencies and is on the local council register at stage 3 as he made death threats to a council official in 2012. He lives next door to me on a large piece of land that adjoins/my partner and my parents(we share a large bungalow). He lived with us from Sept to Jan but he went because we got fed up with the fact that he was offering no money for anything yet has plenty. During that time he has been installing living quarters into a barn that he built. This is illegal. He also has an illegal electricity line going to the property.
He left in Jan after a huge row as he accused myself and my partner of trying to cause trouble because he thought we would inform the council what he was doing illegally etc. He threatened us. My father told him to leave. Since then he has been allowed to let himself into the house as my father gave him a key. A few days ago he wrote on the wall next to some plaster work that my partner had done”This is a mess” in permanent pen. I showed it to my father but he says there is nothing he can do. I sent him a text saying how upset mum and dad were by his behaviour and the text back was “as for the council letters don’t make threats to me as I will f**k you over big time bitch and the same goes for the lodger.” He was referring to a letter that the council tax dept had sent as they had been informed he was living here, but not by me.
I showed this to my father and as we were sitting in the sitting room my brother as he usually does, menacingly everyday, walked past the window, saw dad with us and made threats to have my face and my partners kicked by someone or he will do it himself.
He then walked into my side of the house(we usually keep it locked) and proceeded to make threats to us as he had just done through the window. I said I wanted to call the Police but my father said not to.
For fear of repercussions I haven’t contacted the Police as I believe he will do what he said he would do and I am afraid..I know his violent threats will continue but my partner and I cannot live with his threats and the fact that he walks around my home in this menacing threatening way.
I don’t know where to turn/what to do?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Given his threatening behaviour to both myself and my partner what would be the best course of action?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Given his threatening behaviour to both myself and my partner what would be the best course of action?

To achieve what ?

I'm not sure what you are hoping to achieve?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

To get him to stop threatening us.

Well, there is no way of doing that. All that can be done is to take action afterwards.

You are describing things that probably would amount to a public order offence and can be reported to the police. You do run the risk that your father will be displeased about that obviously.

Alternatively you can seek an injunction at the county court to stop him actually attending any property that you solely own. An injunction will not stop him visiting your father unless he also seeks to be included upon it.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you