How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10743
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I own a bungalow worth 400000 pounds. Recently been widowed

This answer was rated:

I own a bungalow worth 400000 pounds. Recently been widowed and now house needs attention. I Have two children and they are both married. My son owns a 2 bed maisonette still on mortgage. I have thought of moving into his maisonette and him and his wife having the bungalow as my son can refurbish it and live in it. How do i make sure that legally nothing will go wrong if i die or my son before me. Want to make sure that i am covering all eventualities.

Many thanks

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

To enable me to answer you fully, are you happy to legally swap properties with your one Son or do you want to make sure your other child "inherits" half of the bungalow?
Could you tell me in roundabout terms how much your Estate is worth, excluding the bungalow, if you don't mind?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Yes I am happy for the swap but need to make sure that My daughter will get half of the amount the bungalow is worth but not sure if that will mean now before they do any work on it only about 5 - 10000 pounds worth or in the future when they have made their improvements. I would not take on their mortgage. My estate is worth about 80000 pounds. I am 55 years old.

Hi Gill,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, legally, the easiest and best thing to do would be as follows-

On the basis that your Son doesn't have the funds to pay off his Mortgage, the bungalow would need to be transferred to him (and his Wife), with their existing Mortgage being transferred over to the bungalow. In return they would transfer their property to you.
I don't know how much their property is worth, but if it is say £200,000, then you would have to make sure that you leave the masionette.

(I say the above on the basis that if the masionette is worth £200,000 for simpleness sake, and the bungalow is worth £400,000 then you are in effect giving your Son £200,000 now and hence your would be leaving your Daughter £200,000 in your Will). Of course, hopefully property prices will go up before anything happens to you, and hence the maisonette will no doubt be worth more than £200,000 by the time your Daughter inherits it, but you may see it that your Son has benefitted from his inheritance early and hence your Daughter should also benefit more when anything happens to you.
Alternatively, you may just wish to put in your Will that your Daughter receives the first £200,000 from your Estate, if you felt this was fairer.

Either way, you should go and see a local Wills Solicitor who can discuss everything in detail with you and you can then decide how your Will should be drafted so that your Daughter does not lose out financially.

It's not really possible to put the bungalow in your Son and Daughter's joint names now, as your Son would need to has his and his Wife's names on the Deeds alone to enable them to transfer their existing Mortgage on to the bungalow.

I hope this gives you an insight into what needs to happen legally.

I hope I have therefore assisted, but please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards

Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you