How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71043
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am in court on a drink driving charge. I was moving my

Customer Question

I am in court on a drink driving charge.

I was moving my car in a private car park and unfortunately I reversed into a vehicle it was not my intention to drive home only to move the vehicle out of the way as my friend was to take me home later. I drove the car a matter of 10 feet, however, the owner of the other vehicle called the police without even talking to me or taking my details. When the police arrived I was not in the vehicle.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do I have any sort of defence from being disqualified.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
It depends really.

I haven't had full vision of this case and you do need to bear that in mind. However, if this is not a road or a public place then there is no offence anyway. Private land is not covered by the drink driving laws. However, what is private land is quite complicated and its not sufficient to just point to a few signs referring to private property.

If that fails, you may have a special reasons argument if you only drove a very short distance. That would involve a conviction but you could avoid a ban on the basis of special reasons.

If that fails though then I'm afraid the ban is mandatory.

Can I clarify anything for you?