How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi I am currently in contract in a rent to buy scheme in the

This answer was rated:

Hi I am currently in contract in a rent to buy scheme in the house I will in and have 18 months let on my contract which clearly states that the house can not be sold will I am in contract, A receiver is after taking over the site which has a number of other houses in the site. I have been contacted to say they are putting up a for sale sign tomorrow and selling it. Can they do this?????

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Is your contract with the Landlord I assume? I also assume he has gone into administration or something please?


Yes to both your questions

Alex Watts : It's bad news then I am sorry to say.
Alex Watts : Your contract is with the landlord, they have gone into administration
Alex Watts : Your agreement has therefore technically ended. You no longer have a contract.
Alex Watts : Therefore the administrator is allowed to sell the property.
Alex Watts : However if and when that time comes you can apply to the courts for a stay of eviction and the law says you are entitled to 2. I this notice.
Alex Watts : But the agreement can be ended early, because it no longer exists. Your contract is with the landlord and he is no lo get dealing with his affairs.
Alex Watts : Sadly you can buy yourself some time but you may have to leave early.
Alex Watts : I am sorry that this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Of course the administrator may want to keep someone in who is paying and any new landlord may want a sitting tenant, so speak to them first.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

How "much time would that by me

Alex Watts : 2 months at the very most.
Alex Watts : From the time they asked you to leave.
Alex Watts : Does that help?

Thanks for your help

Alex Watts : If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you