How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71056
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, I was given a sentence of 7 years on the Sex Offenders

This answer was rated:

Hi, I was given a sentence of 7 years on the Sex Offenders Register 7 years ago, i have a sopo that is indefinite to prevent me installing software to hide internet history.

I would like to have the sopo removed, and understand i need a solicitor to apply to the court for me, the police have already advised they would not object.

My defence solicitors from 7 years ago appear to not exist any more. What would you advise?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,


I need to know what to do to approach a solicitor to have my sopo removed, is this something you can do, or how do i go about it?


Thanks for your help


This is a question and answer site. I can give you general information about your position but I cannot act for you under the rules of this site.

On your substantive point though, you don't need a solicitor to make an application. Removal of a SOPO is just a simple matter of getting the case listed and putting the Crown on notice. It is easier for a solicitor to do that but it doesn't need to be a solicitor.

Any firm specialising in criminal matters can assist with this though. There is no need to use the firm that represented you originally.

The difficulty may be that you will probably not get legal aid for this so would have to pay privately.

A better option might be a barrister under public access. That would certainly be cheaper and it doesn't appear that there is a huge amount of work here for a litigator.

However, in principle any criminal specialist can deal with this for you.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help really useful information.


What is a barrister under public access? Am i talking about £1000's to get this dealt with, or a few hundred?


I appreciate that you may not be able to answer!


Many thanks





Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Barristers can now be instructed directly in some case which is a huge cost saving.

How much is always a clerking question really. It depends on the seniority of counsel and how far they have to travel and how much work there is etc.

You can try here


I know that this barrister is public access registered and a sexual offence specialist but obviously she may be busy on other things.