How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If my grandma took a joint tenancy with her husband in 1975,

This answer was rated:

If my grandma took a joint tenancy with her husband in 1975, when her huband passaway the tenancy went into her name alone. Will she still have succession rights to pass the property to ger daughter

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Unfortunately, there is only one right to succession and your grandmother already exercised that when it went from joint names into her sole name. There is not much more that can be said and no way of sugar coating this I'm afraid.

I'm sorry that this is bad news for her.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The tenancy went to a sole tenancy in 2000 is she still bound by the new 2012 rules or 1975 tenancy rules?

Most councils produce a booklet and here is just one.

Which council it is from is irrelevant

Page 9 point number 1

And here is a page from a different Council website

If you scroll down to "the right to succession (inheriting a tenancy)” you will see the same.

The 1975 rules apply because the 2012 rules only apply to a tenancy granted after 1 April 2012. In fact, the 2012 rules limit succession to a spouse, civil partner and a couple. That excludes other family members.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile