How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am 65 years old. I have recently discovered that my mother

This answer was rated:

I am 65 years old. I have recently discovered that my mother lied on my birth certificate.
She gave a false address, stated that she was married to the man I now know to be my stepfather when she was still married to her first husband.
My birth was registered when I was 15 months old giving my birthdate as 1950 when I was actually born in 1948.
I need to know what this means for me legally. First of all, is my marriage legal? I obviously produced my birth certificate believing my date of birth was 1950. In addition, does this affect my children's birth certificates?
Your advice would be much appreciated.

When did you get married?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was first married in 1969 when I believed I as 19, I was actually nearly 21. I was divorced in 2000.
I remarried in 2002, once again believing I was 52 when I was actually nearly 54.
Thank you.

Your marriage is legal and your children's birth certificates are also legal.

You may apply to correct your birth date on your birth record if you have proof that you were actually born in 1948 and not 1950 but legally speaking, it will not change anything, you will just have to go through hassle getting all your documents corrected.

Or you may just live with the incorrect birth date and save yourself a lot of hassle and cost.

Can I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for leaving positive feedback.

This may help you if you wish to amend your record of birth