How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49857
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Hi,I have recently recieved a graduate employment offer.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have recently recieved a graduate employment offer in London. My employer do need to see the original transcript of my access course, which I do not have a copy of, and neither the provider of the access course has a record of it - as they only keep student records for 3 years. Unlike the U.K's standardized test, my access course do not have a major exam board associated with it However, my university do hold a record of that (it was being sent directly from my access course provider in 2009), but they are unwilling to provide it nor a confirmation of results to my employer. This record is compulsory for me in orde to accept the offer. What should I do?


Do let me know if you need more information about the specific university/access course or college.

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Why are they refusing to provide a copy?
Customer: Their reply was as because this is not a qualification issued at by the University.
Ben Jones :

Hi, you can’t really pursue the provider for not keeping a copy of the transcript because there is no law that says they must keep them for a specific period of time. So the only organisation you can go after is the one that actually holds a copy, which in this case is the university.


If they hold information about you, from which you can be identified, such as results, or other personal information, then that would amount to personal data under data protection regulations and you have the right to request a copy.


Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 entitles an individual to request from a data controller a copy of any information which amounts to personal data about them. The process is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR).


If you wish to make a SAR, you need to write to the organisation that holds the data in question. Your letter should include the following information:

  • Make it clear that you are making a 'subject access request in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998';

  • Provide details of the data you are requesting copies of;

  • Your main personal details - full name, date of birth and address;

  • Any information you believe the organisation will require to find your information.


The organisation may ask for a fee to fulfil your request, which should not be more than £10. Once you have provided all the relevant information and fee, the organisation must send you a formal response within 40 days.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks




Hi, so will it be possible that I request the information to be sent to a third party such as my employer?

Ben Jones :

they can state that they would only send it directly to you and you have to accept that if you want to receive the information

Ben Jones :

Has this answered your query?


Hi, thank you for your response, it was really useful. My last concern is, if the university were to send the record to me only, will I be able to request a stamp or anything, which will be able to use as a prove that it was a copy printed by the university?

Ben Jones :

You can certainly ask them to do so but they are not legally obliged. However, you can use any cover letters they may send with the documents to show that they came from them

Ben Jones :

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you