How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34889
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

please can you advise me of how I can get the correct amount

Customer Question

please can you advise me of how I can get the correct amount of CSA owed to ex husband is currently £628 in arrears, CSA keep saying as long as he pays something they won't do anything about it......he was supposed to pay £25.71 a week he pays around £40-£60 a month the arrears are going up......CSA put his payments up but do nothing to collect the arrears owed to me....

what can I do?

Kind regards

Louise Egan
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have the arrears been running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the arrears have been running yearly. what the csa does is at the beginning of the year they increase the first few months payments to include the arrears from the previous year. they have been doing this since 2005 originally my ex husband was scheduled for this year to pay £46.44 for 19 weeks starting 17.10.2013 to 20.02.14 then £40.16 weekly from 27.02.14 then £25.71 weekly from 06.03.14 to 02.10.14 which he has not paid correctly and is £698.20 in arrears to date.

However when i speak to CSA they say at least he is paying something ..

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
So he is paying less than he should each month to maintain the payment let alone cover the arrears is that correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes some months nothing at all
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
In that case the way forward is to make a formal complaint (in writing) to the CSA
It is not acceptable for them to say "at least you are getting something" - they have the power to enforce the assessment and recover the arrears and there is no excuse for their failure to do so
Do not accept any excuses - carry on through the process if they do not take action
This group may be able to assist
Please ask if you need further details