How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I rent from a housing association,my water tank in the loft

This answer was rated:

I rent from a housing association,my water tank in the loft leaked and flooded part of the upstairs living room due to a faulty valve.Is tthe landlord liable for my damaged carpets?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Had the faulty valve been reported to them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No,the faulty valve was discovered by the emergency engineer who came out after i called about water pouring from my loft..


Is there any other reason that the housing association should have known about this to your knowledge?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They normaly do annual checks on the boiler,but in the 7 years I have been in this house i dont recall anyone doing a check on the tank in the to the best of my knowledge,they ouldnt have known about the faulty tank valves


The short answer is that the landlord is liable fory our losses if he has allowed the property to fall into disrepair and you have suffered loss as a result.

Obviously not all faults with the house are down to disrepair or landlord neglect.

However, if you are saying that this was not noticed because the landlord failed to do checks upon the boiler then you do have the basis of a claim against him.

Probably its a sum under £1000 anyway so it would cheap enough to issue and sue and they may well settle rather than go to court and defend this on this basis.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile