How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71135
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, I bought a property with my Mother 7 years ago that we

This answer was rated:

I bought a property with my Mother 7 years ago that we are now going to sell.
The situation is complicated as we now do not have a good relationship.
When we bought the property my Mother put approximately a 50% deposit down and I have a mortgage for the remainder. My Mother has lived in the property since we bought it, I have not as I am in the Forces. She has currently agreed that on the sale of the property the mortgage redemption will be cleared. My question is will I be entitled to any reimbursement for the amount I have paid out in mortgage over the last 7 years?
Currently I will be coming out with nothing!

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is the property and is the mortgage in joint names?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

The house is in both our names but the mortgage is in just mine.

Sorry for the delay. I was travelling back.

The mortgage being in your sole name will not affect the outcome.

If the property is in joint names and you did not agree otherwise, and when the property is sold it would be split 50-50 regardless of what each of you put in either at the beginning or over the time.

The way the courts look at this is that you wanted it any differently, you would have done a separate deed of trust.

However contributions made by someone who does not live in the property are taken into account and will reduce one person share while increasing the others.

Your mother had the benefit of living in the property when you had the burden of paying the mortgage.

However your mother put 50% down which in full or part accounts for your mortgage payment.

At the moment the most likely outcome is that the property would be split 50-50.

If that equates to more than you have paid in the mortgage it is obviously in your favour and if less, it would be in your mother’s favour.

One thing is certain, and that is that you will not be coming out with nothing if the property is in joint names.

If it was not in joint names you still have a financial interest in the property but if she will not pay you anything, you would be faced with court application in respect of the claim of your share.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you