How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Is there anything less than power of attorney that can be put

This answer was rated:

Is there anything less than power of attorney that can be put in place as I am trying to help out my 94year old aunt who is registered blind. I am named both as an executor and a beneficiary in her will and want to keep averything above board in proper order. My aunt is not suffering from dementia,but she cannot read her mail now and is somewhat forgetful. She lives too far away for me to deal with matters routinely with her present. If I could help manage her affairs it would relieve her, myself and other relatives of some worry.

There is no other way that you may act for her unless you were jointly named on her bills, bank accounts etc.

She may execute an ordinary power of attorney which will only last until she is no longer able to make decisions for herself I.e. Until she loses mental capacity, if she wants you to act for her even after she loses mental capacity, she would need to issue a lasting power of attorney.

The ordinary power of attorney may be worded specifically to limit your authority to only certain matters specified in the document, and perhaps this is what you are looking for.

This may be useful

Can I assist further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you