How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71146
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I just found out that my ex tenant who just left my flat 10

This answer was rated:

I just found out that my ex tenant who just left my flat 10 days back has tampered the exhaustion pipe of the boiler, causing the carbon monoxide to stay in the flat. Fortunately the flat has been empty since she left, if not that could have even killed someone.

I need to report to the police, but I have reported already when she glued the key holes and the police didn't even come to inspect and dropped the case.

Which one is the best way to report it for the police to come to the flat and take evidence?
Should I call 999?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In what way was the pipe tampered with please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thank you for replying. I was hoping you could help me, but I did not put my message addressed to you just in case you were not on line and I need a prompt answer.

I am the person who was arrested by the police after being attacked by my ex tenant, and make the counter allegation.

She has put a kind of plastic bucket at the end of the pipe, in the loft. Surely it was not her, but a relative of her, as it has to be done going up the loft.But she is the only one who has got the keys of the flat. This happen the same day they put glue in the key holes of the door. But I just found it out today, when the plumber company came to do the Gas Safety Certificate.


Is she likely to have believed that anybody would be in the flat?

What is the cost of putting it right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, she knew I was coming over and since the flat is furnished, she knew I was going to stay there. The only reason I did not stayed there is because of the incident of Thursday when she attacked me in the street, so I am too scare to stay there, so I am staying two hours away from my flat.


I have already paid for two visits to the plumber. Which is £200


Yes, but would you have had to pay that anyway?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I had to pay just once for the Gas Certificate, now I still need them to come again to unblock the pipe, but that is not the point.

My point here is that what she did is something very dangerous, and I think I have to report it to the police, but I do not want it to happen like last time when I reported the glue in the key holes and the police did not even came to the place to take the report.


Yes, she may well have done but that is not an offence per se necessarily.

At the moment, the only offence I can see is possibly criminal damage.

Had there been somebody living there to her knowledge then I suppose, in academic law, there could have been an attempted S18 maybe although I'm not sure this amounts to an assault.

If any person was injured or killed then clearly there would have been an offence but that did not happen thankfully.

You do have a civil claim for the additional costs.

Sorry if this is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, if I understand it right, I can not put a report with the police about this?

What should I do then? How can I go about a civil claim?


The other matter is that I am suspicious of her opening my letter box, the outer part looks damaged and the opening is much bigger than normal allowing someone to put the hand through, also in all these days there has not been any letters there. Is that an offence?

Well, you can walk through the doors of a police station and report the incident. Whether or not they are willing to take a crime report is another matter.

You can issue against her here

If she is interrupting the post then there is an offence under the postal legislation. They do have to prove and intent to cause you harm and its not often used but it does exist.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I feel very helpless here.

Here is the list of the things she has done:

- She was in receipt of housing benefit and did not pay 35 days of rent.

(which by the way must be fraud since when she just rented the flat, through an agency, I was informed that she was divorcing and just sold a house from which she got half the money)

- She did not give notice, sent an incomplete set of keys with her father.

- Glue the key holes of my flat.

- Tamper the boiler pipes.

- Broke the inter phone.

- Attacked me in the street.

- Taking the letter from my letterbox.


From this list, I have just reported the damage of the door and the counter allegation on the assault.

Isn't anything that I can do for justice to be done?



You could report the potential benefit fraud to the DWP and they probably would investigate that.

You cannot force the police to act I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, it is not use to report it to the police? I thought at least it would be useful as a record in case she will continue causing damages.


I am still not clear in how to act about the mail box? Every day she is taking my mail.

You can make any report you like to the police but whether or not they will act is another matter.
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile