How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71142
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I live in sheltered accommodation my mum has recently passed

This answer was rated:

I live in sheltered accommodation my mum has recently passed away and she is the one named on the tenancy and I am classed as a lodger even though I lived with her. Am I liable for the rent as they want me to vacate the property now?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

You are not liable for the rent however you are not able to stay there either and you are liable to pay an amount of money in respect of rent (but not treated as rent but treated as what are known as mesnes profits) until such time as you vacate.

As this is special accommodation you are no right to inherit the tenancy. The landlord only has to give you one months notice to leave.

I'm sorry if this is bad news for you.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you