How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

hi, my sister recently moved to a flat and her neighbour

Customer Question


my sister recently moved to a flat and her neighbour underneath her from day1 either calling police or council claiming that there is a noise. he is an old and sick man and he has health problems and this person should be moved to a health centre if required. in his calls either to police or to council sometimes saying that there are two persons fighting, screaming, sometimes says, children are playing outside on the street and cars drivers are shouting, sometimes says, loud music, etc. every time there is a new story and the police come immediately and get inside the flat looking for something. when they do not find anything they do apologise and leave. this happens daily and i do not understand why neither the police nor the council put limit for this issue. every time the people who come from the council they promise us to sort out the problem and i had not received anything at all. they are always talking about help but there is nothing. my sister working during the day and come at the evening with three children and she is a teacher. the flat floor is changed to laminate with sound proof and my sister put on the top carpets to keep down the noise low if there is a noise. the floor is a solid floor and the noise transmission is very low. the noise officers did not hear any noise at all in all their visits. i do not know how i cant stop harassing her. it is not good for her children that every day either the police or council officers nocking on her door for no reason. she got depression and she can't concentrate on her work. she hate to come home because of his behaviour. sometimes he goes outside and keep pressing on the inter phone. i need a legal advise and how do we can stop this.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


as i mentioned in the message her neighbour keep harrasing her and nether the council nor the police can sort out the problem. when my sister call the police they do not come at all and when she leave a voice message they do not call back. however, once he call they come immediately. we do not know what he tell them. today the police came twice and 1 hour difference between them. the noise offices from the council they are no more willing to coem again because they inderstood that this person is not normal and he is wasting their time. but, i do not understand how is police do not take an action against him, he keeps disturbing the police and the police do not fine him. if one time came and found noise, they would fined my sister. i do not know what we need to do either with the council or with the police? should not the police stop coming and understand that this person is sick?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
The reason that they attend when he calls them is that he is making reports that, if true, would amount to a domestic and they currently have a positive arrest policy.

I'm sorry if I'm missing the point but I'm not sure why your sister wants to call the police or the council ? To report what?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sometimes he turn the music very loud, some times use a hammer and knock the ceiling, sometimes he keep pressing on the, sometimes knock on the door and police warned him before that he should not come and knock on the door again.

we can't stand like this and do nothing. if he is free, we are not free.



Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
The reason the police won't attend for that is that loud noise is a local council remit now rather than a police one.

That is not to say that this cannot be reported but its a local council remit. They will probably tell her to keep a noise diary for 28 days and then if there have been enough incidents investigate themselves.

The police used to deal with noise levels but have recently returned the issue to the local council.

Can I clarify anything for you?