How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My partner and I are in our 80s and can no longer drive. We

This answer was rated:

My partner and I are in our 80s and can no longer drive. We want to offer free accommodation (own bedroom, kitchen, sitting room) to a non-smoking driver in return for up to 10 hours help a week (driving us in our car or his to the local shops, medical appointments, basic gardening, changing light bulbs etc). We have drafted an agreement between ourselves and the sharer of our home and need a lawyer to look it over for us.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Can you post it here please?



1. Purpose of agreement: Chris and Betty are in their 80s and are disabled and offer free accommodation in return for limited assistance.


2. Accommodation provided: Own bedroom, own kitchen (but allowing access to boiler), own sitting room with view of garden, shared use of garden, and shared use of shower room with wc (shared with Chris) – all on ground floor. Also shared use of washing machine.


3. What the sharer will do and not do: In return for free accommodation:

  • The sharer will drive Betty and Chris to shops and GP and hospital appointments etc, using own car or Chris’s and Betty’s, help carry shopping, some basic gardening and occasional help with changing electric light bulbs etc up to a maximum of ten hours a week.

  • The sharer will have own set of keys and will always Banham lock the front door and lock the garden door when going out and coming in.

  • The sharer will not smoke in the house (or have guests who smoke in the house), play loud music or keep pets.

  • The sharer will pay one third of council and water rates and energy and Broadband bills.

  • The sharer will provide weekly access for a cleaner to bedroom, kitchen and sitting room and occasional access to garden through sitting room.


4. What Betty and Chris will do: They will organise and pay for the weekly cleaning of the house. They will give reasonable notice of their need to be driven and will pay for all petrol used on their behalf.

They will respect the sharer’s right to privacy.


5. Termination of agreement: A month’s notice on either side.


Signed:………………………….................. Date…………………….

We probably need to add a clause about the immediate termination of the agreement if the sharer misbehaves in some way. And possibly some other clauses as well.

Alex Watts : You should also say the agreement is governed by English law.
Alex Watts : Save for get i
Alex Watts : Save for that it is generally ok.
Alex Watts : However I would just add that the sharer is only permitted in the accommodation on licence and no tenancy agreement is created by the agreement.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Thank you very much indeed. That is very helpful, and I am very grateful. I will do what you say. Would it be a good idea to add: "This agreement is ended without notice if the sharer is in any way in breach of any of the above clauses".

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.


Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:


I am extremely happy with the help you gave me (see above) but can you please answer my final question (see above): Would it be a good idea to add: "The agreement is ended without notice if the sharer is in any way in breach of any of the above clauses"?

Alex Watts :

You can't terminate without notice, this is a persons home.

Alex Watts :

You do need to give notice.

Alex Watts :

Does that help>


Not fully. My wife and I own the home. Surely the agreement can be terminated without notice if the person sharing our home misbehaves contrary to the agreement? No? Chris

Alex Watts :

Sadly you can't just throw someone out on the streets. You need to give some notice.

Alex Watts :

Even if it is 24/48 hours


Very many thanks. Chris

Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you