How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hello, having just moved out from a house i was sharing with

This answer was rated:

having just moved out from a house i was sharing with my now ex partner i am wondering about my rights.

this was a house that we bought together, although the mortgage is in her name only however I have paid the legal fee's and the split of the mortgage payments and utill bills while at the house. we both moved into the house on feb 28th 2014.

Am I:

1. able to enter house at any time to collect my belongings.
2. seek of reimbursement of the monies i place in to the house, i.e legal fee's
3. belongings that have been placed outside of the house, should any of this is damaged due to weather seek reimbursement.

There has been no physical or verbal violence from to towards my ex partner at any time.

thank you very much

Wayne Marks
Hello Wayne,

Are you married to your partner?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I was not married to her

Thank you
Thank you.

I am afraid as you are not married to her:

1) you do not have the right to enter the house without her consent;
2) yes, you may certainly ask her to repay you this money if you had not gifted the money to her;
3) you may seek compensation from her in such a case but if she refuses to pay up, you would need to go to court for judgement against her.

Can I assist further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for you advice, what would be deemed a suitable amount of time for her to return the monies ?

14 days would be reasonable.

Please leave feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very very much for your advice it is much appreciated, one last question how do I get my belongs from the house if she Weill not give me access ?
You may get a local solicitor to write her a letter or last option would be to go to court for an order against her forcing her to return your belongings to you or you may make a money claim against her in court for money to compensate you for the loss of your belongings.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much :-)