How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

my car went into a garage for a service. They changed my break

This answer was rated:

my car went into a garage for a service. They changed my break pads and discs without asking and fitted the wrong break pads. This garage is a vehicle test garage, how do I contact the people who check these garages?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Did you go to a main dealer or independent garage? How much did they charge you?

Independent garage. They said that the cost of a service was about £80 to £100, but we were supplying the oil. When I picked up the car they said that the bill was £244.80. I ask why and they said the brake disc wanted replacing. I paid the bill because I want my car to be right. That was in February. In April a friend said she thought my brakes looked odd. I asked my husband and then we took the car to a friend who is a machanic. He said he though they were not right. Bear in mind they are looking at the brakes while the wheel is on. I took the car to have the winter tyres removed and the summer tyres put on and it was obvious that the brake pads did not fit. I called the garage e assured me that the parts were genuine and that I passed him to my husband. He again said that the parts were genuine and when asked by my husband why he had fitted new parts, said it was part of a service. When my husband said it wasn't he said "Oh". My husband went on to discuss the brake pads and eventually the garage guy put the phone down. The garage man was getting very upset and somewhat angry. I didn't feel that I wanted to see them again, having given them the change to be honest. I took the car to a Renault Garage who wrote on the bill "brake discs and pads non genuine fitted - brake pad too large and catching brake discs. I was therefore nervous about driving the car further with a brake problem and asked the garage to put matters right. I then took the invoice that the garage had given me, with the report, back to the original garage and asked them to pay it. They got very cross and when I said that I used my car to carry my children and grandchild in they said if anything had gone wrong they were insured for half a million pounds!

Alex Watts : Did you ask for them to use genuine Renault parts?

I didn't ask them to use any parts, they changed my discs and pads without my knowledge. I asked if they had used Renault parts and they said they had

Alex Watts :


Alex Watts :

In that case you dont have to pay.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.


Alex Watts :

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?



Sorry I don't think you read the original question. I paid for the brake discs and pads because I was led to believe they were genuine. It was not until April that I noticed they were wrong and had them replaced

Alex Watts : Yes I understand that.
Alex Watts : You can sue for breach of contract.
Alex Watts : They changed the brakes without asking
Alex Watts : And when they changed it they lied about the fact they were not genuine.
Alex Watts : Therefoere you can sue for breach of contract.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you