How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

hi i hope you can help approx 2 years ago the roads dept

Customer Question

i hope you can help
approx 2 years ago the roads dept changed the road drains next to my house by putting in extra drain the problem is the drains then run under my garden which because of the extra amount of water going through the drains caused them to to break /come apart etc which caused the water to come up through the ground and flood my garden the bigger problem being that the flooding then caused the septic tank to back fill meaning sewage was now floating about the garden
to cut a very long story short
roads dept said not there problem
went to water board they said it was road dept problem
i even went to enviromental health who said go back to roads dept
again after talking to roads dept they say it is a natural water way and they can do what they want and theres nothing i can do
i have now at my expense sorted the situation at a cost of £11760 which i think the council should pay for can you help
it was east renfrewshire council in scotland
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have you ever made a formal corporate complaint please?

JACUSTOMER-vf743dbi- :

Yes but not in writing

JACUSTOMER-vf743dbi- :

Yes but not in writing I spoke to councillor who agreed with me and now has back tracked as I have said I want them to reimburse me

Alex Watts : Ok.
Alex Watts : You need to write to the chief officer and make a complaint.
Alex Watts : They will investigate the matter and you can make a claim against their insurance.
Alex Watts : If it is not upheld you can complain to the omnudman.
Alex Watts : They offer a free and independent service and can investigate your complaint for free.
Alex Watts : They are available at
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : If the ombudsman is against you then if you went to court the council could use that report and you may well lose.
Alex Watts : But write to the council. Make an insurance claim. Complain to the ombudsman.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-vf743dbi- :

Ok thanks for your help

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Alex Watts :

Please remember to leave feedback before you go today