How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a small factory in Watford which I purchased about 25

This answer was rated:

I have a small factory in Watford which I purchased about 25 years ago. Behind the factory is a disused railway goods yard. About 15-16 years ago I fenced off an area approx. 120 sq/metres. I informed the local council planning department in 2002.

Can you tell me what are my legal rights to this land.
Thank you.

Jack Halsey

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Have you ever applied to the land registry for possession please?


Alex Watts : Ok, it's bad news you do not own the land,
Alex Watts : The rules changed a few years ago for adverse possession.
Alex Watts : You now need to occupy the land, excluding all others for a minimum of ten years.
Alex Watts : Once you have done that then you need to make an application to the land registry for adverse possession.
Alex Watts : The land registry will then notify the owner of your application and give them time to object.
Alex Watts : If the owner does not object or does not respond, the land is transferred to you.
Alex Watts : If the owner does object then your application for possession of the land fails.
Alex Watts : For more detailed guidance please aee
Alex Watts : see
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : ans
Alex Watts : and
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?



Thanks. The land is under a Council CPO. After occupying the land for such a long period am I entitled to any compensation?

Alex Watts : No, unless you are the owner.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?


Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you