How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi I have a 22 year old son that I wish to evict from our home

Customer Question

Hi I have a 22 year old son that I wish to evict from our home ,he is continually abusive towards my wife and I and because of this my wife has moved out and refuses to come back . He has refused to pay any thing to the upkeep of the house for over two years now .
In the past we have had to call the police to him .
The situation has now become unbearable and we have no option but to remove him from our home.
Can you please give us some advise on what the next step is , we have tried in the past but he has flatly refused to go .
Regards michael
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare a
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are you going to be willing to involve the police?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If that is what it takes then we have no option.
When the police were called a few years ago they told him that we have have the right to move him out but now he thinks that the house is his and we do what he tells us.
We have reached the point of no return now.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
You need to give him "reasonable written notice" to leave
In this context reasonable is likely to be seen as 28 days
Keep a copy of the letter
At the end of that time wait until he goes out and change the locks
Pack up his belongings and make them available for collection - and call the police of he tries to enter your home.
Not easy I know - but I hope that this is of assistance