How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

Mum and her carer, nephew, have been in sheltered accommodation

Customer Question

Mum and her carer, nephew, have been in sheltered accommodation funded by Havering Social Services since 2001. During this period they moved once. Because they have the same surname things became confused with the housing dept, thought they were a married couple, in despair the nephew signed a form relinquishing his tenancy, at least that's what I think he did. Mum has now gone into full time residential care and the housing dept have given him 4 weeks to vacate the flat. What can we do? He has faithfully looked after our mum, saving the country thousands, he considers her to be his mum, and now he is being treated most unfairly. Surely he has some rights, they say they do not have to provide him with a home - how can that be? Please help we are at our wits end. Mags
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask if your mother held a housing association tenancy or was this a tenancy with the council please? I presume it is the former from what you say but could you kindly confirm?