How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71147
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

i am trying to find my 2 nephews [brothers] who have been left

This answer was rated:

i am trying to find my 2 nephews [brothers] who have been left a small amount of money by their father and uncle i have not been successful so far, is there a time limit as other elderly members of the family won't be able to have a share until they are found

l kamperman

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the problem is its only a small amount left to them by their dad i would not be able to pay for a professional company i think the elder one XXXXX XXXXXves locally the inheritance from their uncle is being dealt with by my solicitor and i dont want to get a search team on that .i just would like to know if there is a time limit on how long the funds can be held even if i am doing my best to locate them.

mrs kamperman.


[ps can i print this page as proof of payment in the search]

A basic search which your solicitor can undertake via a tracing agency costs as little as £50 plus VAT.

You can always deduct the money in respect of the search from administration expenses.

You can also, hang onto that share assuming that these beneficiaries will get found eventually and distribute the balance to everyone else.

If it transpires that these beneficiaries have died having left no family, their money can then be distributed amongst the others.

If they surface from the woodwork in years to come, you are going to have to prove to the satisfaction of the court that you did all that was reasonable to try to find these people.

That would involve placing adverts in the local paper which you appear to have done already and the London Gazette and instructing a tracing agency.

You would then have to take out an indemnity policy in case they manage to resurface.

If, for example, they have only been left £100 each the safest thing to do is donate the money to charity but to get an indemnity from the charity that they will repay the money if ever the beneficiary surfaces. That is not at all uncommon.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your advice. goodbye

l kamperman

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.