How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

To whom may advise me, I am a former police officer who

This answer was rated:

To whom may advise me,

I am a former police officer who went to work for a bank after leaving the constabulary. I did the regrettable offence of using my old warrant card for travel in trains. The moment I was caught by the BTP, I confessed and offered to pay for all my wrongdoings.

Unfortunately, the courts threw the book at me and convicted me for 2 x fraud by false representation and impersonating a police officer. I completed 120 hours of community service and am still paying the fine.

As a result I had to leave my role and two years on have not been able to secure work due to my convictions. I originally understood it's to be justice, but recently I heard of a case where an investment banker had been caught fare dodging and had got away by paying for the outstanding fare owed.

I thought to myself that this does not seem fair, if I'm so harshly punished why not him? After all it was the same reasons albeit the method may be different.

Please advise if I can be in a position to overturn this decision? I did plead guilty to all that was put to be. :-(

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I am really sorry but there is nothing that can be done now.

Apart from anything else you pleaded guilty. You can only appeal a guilty plea on the basis that it was not equivocal and this was. In any event, even if you won the. You would just be tried again and, on these facts, convicted.

Also, if this was two years ago then you are out of time. They will hear appeals out of time sometimes but not two years I'm afraid.

Its never a good idea to compare sentences in this way. However, the reason you got a harsher sentence than most is because you occupied a position of trust and authority which you abused by using a warrant card. Misuse of a warrant card is a very serious aggravating feature.

I'm very sorry.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile