How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi my wife left with the kids on Saturday and took the money

This answer was rated:

Hi my wife left with the kids on Saturday and took the money for rent and know I'm left with a 775rent Bill.and tried to get me done for common assault but there was no case but I don't no what to do know I want full custody of my childre Jessie may is3 and Amber is 20months what can I do and my wife was not paying the bills on the property and got 400 gas bill in my wife's name but I don't want to leave the proprty coz my kids are used to the home and Jessie has just been accepted for her new school. Iv got no saveings what can I do pls help my wife is on anti depressio n tablets and has mental health problems
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who has had the day to day care of the children until now?
Do you know where she has gone?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has gone to chesterfield which is aboutXXXXXaway but both are children have been in are care till then I have not spoken to her but iv text saying I want to sleek to my oldest


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We both have I go work during the day and Mr wife was with them during the day.

But know I have found out where she is. She is with her mum in chesterfield which is 3 half hour drive away. But iv got utility bills back at the flat 400+ gas bills and rent so got to sort that also I don't have the money Carly left with the housing benif it money


is it a private rental or Social Housing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Private property but she was getting full benefits form the house ing


Would you wife be willing to return to the property with the children if you moved out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No she would not she told the police that she did not want nothing more to do with me or the property she told police I common assaulted her but was dropped lack of evidence. And I never did what she was saying anyhow so I know she is going to be a cow over everything.

Since the Gas bill is in her name then you can contact the Gas board and transfer the account into your name - and then they can chase her for the money
You will need to change the Housing Benefit application into your name and obviously negotiate with your landlord with respect to the arrears
With regard to the children the starting point is to try and discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation (
Since she has been the main carer of the children until now (you have been at work that i snot a criticism in any way) then that is likely to continue unless you can show that the children are not safe in her care - but they are entitled to regular contact with you - including overnight contact of you can manage them - which I am sure you can
You can read more on this website
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks all is ok we're on talking terms and I think we can sort something out without the courts. Thanks again

That is by far the best way - i hope all goes well