How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49862
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Please can you tell me if it is legal for a company to withhold

This answer was rated:

Please can you tell me if it is legal for a company to withhold Pay slips and also to not give an employee an end of financial year form P60
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. can you tell me how long he has been employed by the company. And has this happened previously or is it since her has been in the Netherlands please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He started working for the present company in November 2012 and switched to the Dutch system of Tax and Insurance on the 9th December 2013. The problem has only occurred since he has worked for company since November 2012.

Ok thank you leave it with me I need to look up a few things and then get my advice ready.I will post back on here when done there is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded.
Many thanks for your patience. I can only provide advice on UK law so if he is working under Dutch laws I am afraid it is not possible for me to comment. But I will give you the UK side of things and what his rights are in that respect.

In relation to payslips, the employer has a duty under the Employment Rights Act 1996 to issue its employees with detailed pay slips either before or at the time they get paid. The relevant law is here:

As to the P60, whilst the employer would be expected to issue that, if they fail to do so there is no direct remedy available to the employee and they simply have to contact HMRC directly and get the information from there as they would have all the relevant details to hand.

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you