How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

The Newham council has charged me council tax of £11611.41

This answer was rated:

The Newham council has charged me council tax of £11611.41 from 2004 to 2014 which im not in title to pay in full im on income support and living in a lease hold property and im disabled by sight. from 2004 till 2014 i had number of agency to help me to resolve this problem but every time the council have failed to answer the reply. Now i have a letter from Newham council that they are taking committal proceedings on the 8th of may at 9:30am. I have today 2nd of may i had interview with the senior council officer to resolve this problem but he is saying you have to go to court on the 8th of may to solve the problem.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can i resolve this matter with the council and how can i ask for more time from court,to prepare my case.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you have not awnserd my first question.

When did you find out about this?

Why do you need more time to prepare?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On the 11th of April.



So why do you need more time?

Bearing in mind that the Court will say you have had a month already?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I only have interviewed today with the senior council tax officer to discuss about ways to resolve the problem. but he said you have to go to court and represent your case that's why i need more time to find solicitor to represent my case.

You will find a solicitor very easily to deal with this. Its a simple enough matter essentially over whether or not you are liable to pay. Unfortunately you will not get legal aid so you will have to pay privately but any criminal firm will be able to deal with this for you and they could be instructed on Tuesday

Alternatively you can cover it yourself.

If you are intent upon applying for time then you would have to attend and seek an adjournment. It would be irresponsible of me to tell you that there is a realistic chance of it being granted though.

All you need to do is present evidence to support your defence which appears to be basically that you are not liable to pay.

That would include things like producing evidence of your benefit claim and how long you have been claiming.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

senior officer said the court may sentance you on 8th may 2014 if you can not pay full amount, could this happened on committal proceeding ?

Not if that is a liability order.

They won't send you to prison. they will just give you time to pay.

They can send to prison but its a last resort.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there any organsation who can help me represent my case on that date as i am disable, and what is liability order.

Not for liability orders.

You have to pay privately or self represent.

A liability order is literally an order of liability.