How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

What rights do an American man in Britain when he marries an

This answer was rated:

What rights do an American man in Britain when he marries an English man. We have b een a couple for 34 years and can now regularise our union.

UKSolicitorJA : Hello
UKSolicitorJA : Please be specific what rights you are asking about? Immigration related?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes -does he have automatic rights to stay in the uk? As a Green Card holder in the USA would have? Does he have access to the National Health system? Can he for instance apply for joint citizenship. I should explain that he is a 62 American citizen and is taxed in the US. I am also retired and am a British Citizen, and taxed and pensioned in the country. Any help you can give to help us understand how we would stand would be appreciated. At the moment I go to the US on a six months visa and apply for an extension. We own a house in Florida and when I come over here we rent a cottage for six months at a time, but it is becoming irksome. Can you help please?

Thank you.

Yes, he may access the NHS for free once he obtains a spouse visa. The spouse visa is a probationary visa and once you have been living for 5 years in the Uk as a couple, he may apply for,indefinite leave to remain.

He needs to apply for a spouse visa from the US, see here

He may apply for UK citizenship after living for 5 years in the UK and obtaining Indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

Hope this helps