How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49779
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

An ex employee has set up an app selling images taken from

This answer was rated:

An ex employee has set up an app selling images taken from our website and also images of work under construction in our works. These image are of design we have developed over many years and he is targeting other manufactures offering these images showing our designs. How can we put a stop to this.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Who took the images?

Customer: We took the image for the web site and he must have taken the other without our knowledge. He is passing off all of the work as his own
Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Ben Jones :

If you took the original images then you will automatically own their copyright and the person cannot use them without your permission, otherwise it would amount to a breach of copyright. You may certainly contact the person, advise them they are using copyrighted material without your permission and request that these images are removed immediately or further legal action would follow, up to commencing legal proceedings to apply your rights.


Similar rules would apply if he is passing off your work as his own and that could again amount to a breach of your intellectual property rights. The same request can be made on that basis.


If he refuses to act as requested, then you need to consider whether you should take further action. That would usually involve making a claim in the courts for damages or an injunction to prevent him from further using your material. Only use it as a last resort though and try to resolve this by direct contact first, as suggested above.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks

Customer: Thanks for your help I will come back to you should I need anything further
Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best for now

Ben Jones and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you