How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

my mother has freely admitted she perverted the course of justice

This answer was rated:

my mother has freely admitted she perverted the course of justice in the case of my father's Section 18 wounding with intent on me. Now that my father is dead and the perversion of justice relates to my mother using emotional blackmail to get me to drop the charges - knowing full well that I was under heavy medication and extremely vulnerable at the time - and also knowing she would lose her house if my father were jailed. I was a police officer at the time of the assault, I lost my job, my career, my marriage and have spent the last 21 years destroying myself. Having been diagnosed with serious mental conditions as a result of this attack and having been on medication ever since (the attack took place in 1992) I am now finally getting the health support and medication I need and have been clean and sober for more than 12 months. Is there no way I can get justice for the destruction of my life and career by my mother? my (by then) ex-wife committed suicide last year. The consequences of my mother's self-interested actions (she was under no duress whatsoever) have ruined me. I cannot give the full details here but perhaps you can see some way I can now sue my mother for redress. Must I approach the police first to make a complaint? I don't want money I want justice. There is a lot more to this case than meets the eye involving childhood sexual, physical and emotional abuse also. I also rescued my fathers business from bankruptcy and was never repaid a dime. Please help if you can.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what more information do you require please

I just need to know what you wanted to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can I sue my mother for what she has done ? personal injury and loss of earnings?


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can I sue under any common or other law on the civil statute

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

If this had happened recently then you would have had various options. Firstly, they would never have let you withdraw because they would have summonsed you which would have removed your mother's influence. Secondly, you would have had a claim to CICA and since this is a S18 it would have been substantial.

The difficulty that you have is that this is not recent. Since this is 21 years ago you would be time barred under the Limitation Act to bring any claim even if one did exist. I suppose you could argue that for some of the time you were under a disadvantage and also you can always apply to extend time under S32. However, realistically, courts hate delay and 21 years is just too long.

In terms of civil action anyway though, I'm afraid I just cannot see a cause of action. Usually the reason that perverters can be sued is that they have made an allegation which is false and so amounts to defamation. This is not a false allegation. This is the form of perverting arising from witness intervention. That does not amount to a civil wrong.

It is a very serious criminal offence and the police can prosecute it even now as its not time barred.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you