How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, Im planning to move to London from Norway. I have

This answer was rated:


I'm planning to move to London from Norway. I have 3 kids, so is it possible to get any benefits,school for the kids, housing etc.
I need every tiny detail to be on the right track... If you think so, please do not hesitate to give me your answer.

Best regards,

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Are you a British citizen please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

Now I´m not, I am a norwegian citizen, as i mentioned I´m moving to London from Norway, is it possible to get my kids in school, how long should i work to get benefits, housing etc...


Thank you.




Norway is in the EEA.

You have a right to reside in the UK as a worker or self employed person. From 1 March 2014, you may not be accepted as being a worker or being self-employed if your gross earnings or your profits in the preceding three months are less than a 'Minimun Earnings Threshold'.

If you are a former worker of an EEA nation then you can claim benefits if you are temporarily unable to work, starting a vocational course, retired, not working due to ill health or disability etc.

You also have to satisfy the habitual residency test.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again,


what do you mean by former worker of an EEA nation ? Do you mean worker in Uk or in Norway?


How much the 'Minimum Earnings Threshold'?


What about my kids, can they start school and kindergarden?



Well, it would apply in this case to the UK. Norway is an EEA nation so you have rights as an EEA worker in the UK if indeed you are a worker.

The earnings threshold isn't high. You just have to show that you are working at a level at which employers start paying national insurance - at the moment £150.

As long as you are an EEA worker, your children can start school as your dependents.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, is there any fees for the schools for EEA citizens?


Not if you are exercising your right to work here. They are your dependents.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks ... i do appreciate your answers.



No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will keep your profile, but incase i need more answers can i call you, or the contact mean is only on the net...


We can only have contact online under the rules of this site I'm afraid.

Please remember to leave feedback for my answer.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you